- One dozen large eggs
- Boursin cheese (1/2 to 3/4 container)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 6 large red bell peppers, roasted and laid flat to cool
- 10 oz Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 oz smoked ham, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water and a pinch of salt for egg wash.
– Generously butter bottom and sides of a 9″ springform pan.
– Cut off 1/4 of puff pastry and set aside.
– Roll out remaining puff pastry to 1/4 inch thick, place in bottom of the pan (dough should come up the sides of the pan, leaving 1 inch overhang at the top). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
– Roll out the smaller piece of pastry until it is 1/4 inch thick.
– Cut out a 9 inch circle of dough to place on top of the torta and place it aside. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
– Whisk eggs, Boursin cheese, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
– Melt butter in large skillet over low heat and pour in egg mixture.
– Slowly and loosely scramble eggs, stirring gently but constantly.
– Place cooked eggs aside and let cool.
Retrieve springform pan from refrigerator and layer the ingredients in the following order:
– 1/4 of the swiss cheese,
– half the eggs (discard any liquid that may have accumulated on the plate),
– half the spinach,
– 1/4 of the cheese,
– half the ham,
– all the roasted red peppers (laid out flat).
– Continue layering in the reverse order with the remaining ham, 1/4 of the cheese, spinach, eggs, and last 1/4 of the cheese. Make sure to spread the ingredients all the way to the edge of the pan.
Prepare the egg wash:
– Whisk 1 large egg with 1 Tbsp water and a pinch of salt.
Fold the excess pastry over the top of the filling and brush the edge of the crust you’ve created with egg wash. Retrieve the smaller pasty circle from the refrigerator and place over the top of the filling. Gently push the top crust down the sides of the pan, pressing and sealing the top crust to the bottom crust. Brush exposed crust with egg wash.
Cut a small hole in the top of the crust to vent.
Bake in a 425-degree oven for about an hour, or until crust is puffed and golden brown.